Verse of the day

Monday 2 August 2010

Honouring the Lord

While we do honour the Lord in giving our tithes and offerings there are many other ways in which we can honour the Lord. One of such includes the way in which we bring up our children.


We honour the Lord and His Word when we instruct and teach our children the ways of the Lord.


Lessons from Eli

Reading the account in 1 Samuel 2:22 to 1 Samuel 4: 22 many lessons can be learned. This article will highlight a few of them.


1 Samuel 2: 22 – 25

Now Eli was very old, and heard all that his sons did unto all Israel; and how they lay with the women that assembled at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation.

And he said unto them, Why do ye such things? for I hear of your evil dealings by all this people.


Nay, my sons; for it is no good report that I hear: ye make the LORD’s people to transgress.


If one man sin against another, the judge shall judge him: but if a man sin against the LORD, who shall intreat for him? Notwithstanding they hearkened not unto the voice of their father, because the LORD would slay them.


According to verse 25, his Sons did not obey the voice of their father.



Lets see the Lords opinion to Elis approach in correcting his children.


1 Samuel 3: 13


13For I have told him that I will judge his house for ever for the iniquity which he knoweth; because his sons made themselves vile, and he restrained them not.


The bible says that Eli did not restrain his children. It takes more than a voice to discipline and train children.

To restrain is an active word, which just a voice will not do.

Just Imagine a large block about to fall on the head of your child. Will you just say ‘ Jack’ can you leave that place please? Of course no, you will go and physically pull the child away.


It takes more than a voice to restrain children from evil. It takes


Discipline


Rod of correction


Chastisement

I Samuel 2: 29 says Wherefore kick ye at my sacrifice and at mine offering, which I have commanded in my habitation; and honourest thy sons above me, to make yourselves fat with the chiefest of all the offerings of Israel my people?


Eli did not honour the Lord in doing everything he could to ensure his children obey God.

We honour the Lord when we respect and put His Word first before the disobedience of our children. We need to be bold to correct them and stand our ground on what Gods Words says. This is honouring the Lord . Not giving in to their disobedience.


1 Samuel 2: 30 Wherefore the LORD God of Israel saith, I said indeed that thy house, and the house of thy father, should walk before me for ever: but now the LORD saith, Be it far from me; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed.


Eli paid a very costly price for this. 1 Samuel 3: 13 For I have told him that I will judge his house for ever for the iniquity which he knoweth; because his sons made themselves vile, and he restrained them not.


I think this is a very sober lesson. The Lord loves us so much however we do have a responsibility to train up our children.


Lets honour the Lord in doing this right.



Bisi Oladipupo

1 comment:

  1. I think Eli did rebuke his sons, but did not act strongly enough. He should have removed them from their position instead of allowing it to go on.

    ReplyDelete

Pages

Followers